Hello

Hello

Saturday, October 12, 2013

What is the Effect of Social Class on Families?

This is a question I have given a lot of thought to this week. Does social class really matter? Can anyone in any class be truly happy? I wish to share with you, some if my thoughts, but I am also open to hearing other ideas on the matter.

Throughout my study, and thought this week I have come to believe that social class is very much involved in the people that we become. Many of us love to here success stories of a person who was born into to humble circumstances, but worked hard and made a successful life for themselves. But how many individuals end up in a higher social class than their parents? My personal observation is that those who do tend to be an outlier. Social class then, in many ways affects the person we become, and even the family life we experience.

With that said I still believe anyone can improve the life they have, for some it may just be more difficult. Consider the child born into a family whose parents are both Harvard grads, the father a very successful businessman, the mother a stay at home mom. This child attends a prestigious  private school from his youth,and associates with other families just like his own. Now consider another child born into a single parent home where the mother has to work two minimum wage jobs just to provide a small apartment, and food for the family. They live in a dangerous neighborhood, and the child attends public school. Which of these children is more likely to make a life for themselves? Obviously the first child. Why? Because of the social class he was born into, this child receives more advantages than does the one born into a lower class. If the second child wishes to be successful it will depend on if he can overcome mountainous obstacles. Too often the challenges are too much resulting in many people just falling into the same habits, and traditions of there parents.

There may not be a solution to this evident problem, however I believe there is one thing that would make significant improvements. We need to focus more on families! I cannot stress it enough. Regardless of social class, a child born into a stable family is more likely to succeed than other children. We need more families with a mother, and a father who love each other, and work together to raise children with morals, and a strong work ethic. Sadly that type of family is no longer the norm. Who will stand with me and defend the family?

1 comment:

  1. I love that you said, "With that said I still believe anyone can improve the life they have, for some it may just be more difficult." I would definitely agree with you Tod!

    ReplyDelete